Sunday, May 20, 2012

post-grad.

The past two weeks have felt miles long.  My mind and heart took a ride,  preparing to settle into a new job and a new town, only to have both land exactly where I am.  After a couple of interviews and 20 lengthy applications and lots of phone calls and detail-checking, I was offered a position to stay in the tiny East Texas town in which I worked this past year.  And shockingly, without hesitation, I said yes.

I graduated as well, finally, with my Masters in something or other.  I celebrated by staying in bed all day, watching Netflix. I probably should have gone outside or something.

And then, last night, I had several of the women I work with over to my house.  They are of varying ages and backgrounds, and I like each of them very much, for all sorts of reasons.  We drank cocktails and sat on couches and listened to records that each had brought.  Neil Young and Neil Diamond. Jimmy Hendrix and Elton John. The Stones and The Beatles. Simon and Garfunkle, and The Byrds.  We told stories and danced a little bit. And as I looked around, I realized that these people, these women, are the reason I said Yes without thinking too long about it.  People matter. And even in the smallest of places you can discover the biggest of hearts.

So, here I will stay, for another year at least. I have the summer ahead of me, in which I'm planning to get out of the house more and tackle a few small goals.  I have a home to maintain and a dog to take on walks. I've got friend's babies on the way and books to read. And, in my quietest of moments, this all feels alright with me.  It's alright to be in the middle of it, and to create family in the people and tangible things that you have access to.  Sometimes being exactly where you thought you would never be is better than the alternative. 

Or, at the very least, it's a good place to listen to a few records, have a few drinks,  and pause to catch your breath.


2 comments:

Ashley said...

I still remember parking our cars nose to nose in the E Free lot and going to our high school graduation. Bright eyed, totally naive. What precious memories we created. Now, here you are my sweet friend: settling in to a life you love. Congrats. Miss you!

denverdietrich said...

Congrats on another great life milestone. I love reading your words - there are always so poetic and insightful. Someday you'll write a book, and I'll say "I remember doing silly cheerleading stunts with that girl." All the best!