Saturday, June 18, 2011

my dad.


As I've gotten older, I've come to realize so much more
about the roots of who I am.
These roots are multiple, no doubt, and they are deep-
spread out like fingers,
looking to lock with the likes
of life and goodness and wisdom.

Some of my deepest roots are my father,
truly,
and for that,
I could not be more thankful.
He is genuinely kind
and unknowingly wise.
He taught me how to love well
and work hard,
and I owe my penchants for sunburns and football
almost entirely to him.

So, every time someone tells me that I remind them
so very much of my dad,
to them I say thank you oh-so-very much.
For never has another person
challenged me to be
as brave
and as loving
and as strong
as he has-
just by existing as he is.

He is, indeed, my roots.
And I love them with all of my heart.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a really big fan of both of you~
xoxox
mom