Wednesday, April 20, 2011

criss-cross.

I have a secret.

Sometimes, when I'm really overwhelmed and scared about life,
I sit criss-cross apple sauce in front of my mirror.
I take a deep breath, lean in really close, and try to memorize
everything I can see in that moment.
I look at my small hands on my knees, and the squirrelly hairs that have fallen in my face.
I look at the shape of my eyebrows and the ruddy pink of my cheeks.
I notice the color of the shirt I'm wearing and the shape and size of my ears.
And I always look myself in the eye(s) for a long while,
trying to search for something graceful, for something bold.

And I remember that no matter
how big my life may seem,
I'm still me-
flaws and all.

And no one can speak that away.



3 comments:

rachael said...

love you.

becca jordan said...

thats good. like go get it published somewhere good.

Monica said...

no, no one can speak that away. wonderfully put.