Monday, February 22, 2010

break room.

The other day in the break room,
my boss accidentally said the most profound thing.

After joking a bit about the serious lack of testosterone on our staff,
she looked at me and said:

"Courtney, we need to find you a man. You know, one of them guys that you can get all dressed up for and go have some drinks with."

(She herself prefers those of the female persuasion, but she still tries her hardest to keep her eyes open for those of us who don't.)

I laughed and told her thanks but no thanks.
"Eh." I said. "I'm thinking I may not be cut out for the relationship kind of thing right now. But I appreciate the thought." I looked down, hoping that the conversation would end and that I wouldn't have to expound with any more thoughts on the matter.

And then, with her hand on her khaki-clad hip,
she looked right at me and said:

"You know what I think? I think you are bound and determined to be one of them widows for the rest of your life."

I looked at her, slightly confused.

"Widow?" I asked. "But that would require me having lost a husband. Last I checked, I've never been married and I certainly haven't had a man die on me."

"Yeah, yeah." She said. "I know widow ain't the right word, but you lost that boy of yours and that's as good as death right there. I think you think that that's as close as you're gonna get. You just wanna wear black for the rest of your life." She paused as she leaned in towards me.
"And the way I see it, he must not of liked you that much, 'cuz he sure as hell ain't here now, is he?"

I stood there for a second,
uncertain if I felt like laughing or crying.

And then I realized she had a point.
A very good point.





8 comments:

Leah said...

She has a point... now go and follow her advice. xoxo

Amber said...

Wow, that is some serious tough love.
I wish my boss were that insightful.

Meghan said...

She sounds like such an interesting lady. She made a really good point, though!

Lacy said...

I don't know if this is something you would expect to hear from your boss or not, but I'm glad she said it. It's so hard to lose love. You get caught up in your emotions of loneliness and sadness. Sometimes it takes someone to bluntly and maybe harshly point it out to make you step outside your body and look at yourself from the outside. I hope it helps you move on, be happy, and live your life for you!

P.B. said...

Man... that is some hard core tough love...

But it got your attention, and well, I suppose that is what tough love is all about.

Love you! Hope you're doing well!

rachael said...

i like your boss. (but i like you more)

嬰兒 said...

憂能傷身,保重哦! ....................................................

Elizabeth said...

she has a point but she had no way in telling it to you like that. to me that was a little harsh, although it was great advice, it could of been said another way!