Monday, November 2, 2009

A Practically Perfect Afternoon.



There are so many reasons why I love this time of the year,
but I think one of the greatest is the way the landscape evolves and progresses in color and life. The sun isn't quite so warm and the wind isn't quite as strong.
It seems to me as though the earth is taking a long and wondrous breath,
its' belly soft and russet and wonderful.

Today I headed out to the local state park. I brought Marlo, a book (Annie Dillard's An American Childhood that my amazing momma sent my way), and a blanket. We were the only ones on the lake for a good long while.

We hiked for a bit and I slept for an even quicker bit and then we just sat, the two of us while I did some talking with God.





These pictures are completely awful really and don't do the day justice, but they are all I could snap before my camera's battery said fare thee well.

On the way home, with Marlo's head in my lap and the windows down, I listened to these guys, and all was complete.

I hope all of your Monday afternoons were as lazy and autumn-spiced as mine.

5 comments:

Des said...

Sounds like a great afternoon.

Melissa said...

What a gorgeous afternoon!

Catherine said...

I'm always so jealous of you when I read posts like this. I often wonder if there will ever again be a day where I have the chance to be just me, alone with myself, taking in the world around me with a nice book in the sun. Sigh.

Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through you. :)

Liz said...

annie dillard, decemberists... love and love!

Elizabeth said...

fun! i enjoyed these pictures!