Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fire.



This was my work station yesterday evening,
where I studied until the late hours of the night.


Sometimes I forget what it is all for. I feel so discouraged and uncertain and incapable.
I wonder if I am doing the right thing.

I found myself staring at the flames in front of me for a long time. And I was reminded of this quote that I read last week in Emerson's essay "The Poet".

"But the highest minds of the world have never ceased to explore the double meaning, or, shall I say, the quadruple, or the centuple, or much more manifold meaning, of every sensuous fact... for we are not pans and barrows, nor even porters of the fire and torchbearers, but children of the fire, made of it, and only the same divinity transmuted, and at two or three removes, when we know least about it."

Food for thought.


3 comments:

Leah said...

Love that quote.

Melissa said...

What a great quote

Catherine said...

Ugh, I know what you mean. Sometimes I think to myself, am I going to get out of law school and regret that I never went to a fine arts school to become a writer? Am I really pursuing the right thing?

But, I figure God takes us down each path for a reason, so there must be some reason why we are doing what we are...even if it is to graduate and do something completely different.

Good luck! I loved that quote, by the way!