Thursday, September 3, 2009

A good place to start.





Per usual, I'm on the porch this morning, coffee in hand, listening to a loud group of birds that have seemed to take up residence directly above this small, white house. It's 65 degrees, which is pretty incredible, and I'm looking forward to a day that involves a lot of catch up reading, a late afternoon class, and then maybe even a quick dinner with friends. We'll have to see how the cookie crumbles.

Today is a day where life seems a little big and unyielding. I figure that that probably has something to do with the fact that it is. And well, I think that's a good thing. I like that life is big, that my possibilities are big, and that it is all a progression that can only yield to a God whom I'm constantly wrestling with anyhow. At least wrestling involves movement. I think that's a good place to begin.

Yes, today I'm a bit sad. And feeling a little lonely and unsure of how to manage myself in this season of my life. But I'm also aware and awake and alive. And I'm thankful for that. I'm thankful for my cup of coffee and for the sound of the birds that are perched above and even for this time to, in fact, be alone, and enjoy a morning that is unhurried and languid. So, you see, I've got my eyes open. I'm scanning and searching for the the beautiful things today that will help remind me that all is not in vain and that I am someone of value and worth. And for right now, that too, seems like a pretty good place to start.


1 comment:

M.E. said...

I really liked this post and have always appreciated your honesty. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone on such days. I had a relatively similar day yesterday. Thankfully there is hope to be found in the ordinary, b/c it truly is extraordinary.