Thursday, September 10, 2009

Across the Universe...

The roommate is gone for a quick weekend up to a wedding in Portland and, no, I couldn't go with her even though I am definitely under the impression that I should have. Who cares if I don't know the friend getting married. It's Portland! And I want to see what great things that mystery of a city has to offer. I've never visited, but recently I've had this inkling that it's magical somehow, and so I am, of course, obnoxiously jealous of anyone getting to spend any time there.

That's ok. I'll be here... loudly chastising my dog and most likely avoiding dirtying any dishes, all the while thoughtfully considering taking on a third job. I'm poor. Something has to give.



In other news, has anyone else noticed it's, like, Beatles Mania up in here? With their remastered stuff being released and Rock Band and VH1's "Beatles Week" and now even Starbucks promoting their albums, it's kind of a little bit ridiculous... in the best possible way.

Yesterday, while working at the aforementioned Starbucks, I caught a younger guy looking at "Abbey Road", which is currently on display and, coincidentally, for sale. Because I think I'm pretty funny, I lean across the counter and casually say to him in my best possible "indy cool kid" voice:

"Seriously, like, those guys are amazing. They are this new band from England or somewhere and they're unbelievably rad. You should totally check them out."

He looked at me, and after a very long pause, he started laughing in the kind of way that makes anyone feel good. I think he liked my lame little joke.

So, here's the question of the day:

For all of you Beatles fans out there, what is your favorite Beatles song? I certainly don't claim to be the biggest guru out there, but it's kind of hard NOT to love the fab four and I want to know which of their songs make your hearts a little happier.

Here's one of mine:



Haunting in the best possible way...

9 comments:

M.E. said...

Courtney... you could tutor me... I PAY TOP DOLLA! Seriously, I come home every Tues. and Thurs. about to have an aneurism, or at least something along those lines... b/c Dr. M is killing me. I don't know how you feel about tutoring a friend, but I'm dead serious. I haven't asked you until now, well, b/c I knew you were so busy, and didn't know how you would feel about tutoring a friend, but it would be all bidness. Please let me know what you think, b/c I'm going to have to get someone.

As far as Beatles songs... man, that's a tough one... how about favorite albums... Revolver's pretty fab.

Leah said...

I would say "in my life"... I still listen to that song until now.

Katie said...

Courtney, if you love the Beatles, you have to see the Cirque show in Vegas. It made me listen to their music in a whole new way, and I fell in love all over again.

My favorites?
Her Majesty, and I Will

Rachael said...

a day in the life.
but let's be honest, its really hard to just pick one. You need to come play beatles rock band with us, btw...

the southern hostess said...

So funny. Love it.

I'm quite partial to Here Comes the Sun, but it's so hard to pick just one song.

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

Well you know that the boys and I have been very close for a few years now. I think I would have to say Mother Nature's Son or Within You Without You...or Strawberry Fields Forever. I don't know!

Liz said...

i love "let it be" just because john lennon's voice is so amazing. but i think Elinor Rigby is great too.

Melissa said...

No one beats the Beatles. Seriously, no one. It's hard to pick a favorite song... I'd have to say Let It Be. That song always gets me through tough times!