Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shipmates for life.

I've been rereading C.S. Lewis' A Grief Observed and came across this passage earlier, one that I'd marked up and highlighted from my first read through.

"For a good wife contains so many persons in herself. What was H. not to me? She was my daughter and my mother, my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign; and always, holding all these in solution, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow soldier. My mistress; but at the same time all that any man friend (and I have good ones) has ever been to me. Perhaps more. If we had never fallen in love we should have none the less been always together, and created a scandal."

I think even the most cynical of hearts (mine included) can hope for something akin to this- to be someone's shipmate...

No comments: