Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This is the post where I write about my dog.





Well. Here's the thing. I never wanted to be one of those people that wrote obsessively about their pets, like their particular pet is the end all of everything good and pure and that no other entity in their life can possibly be worth writing about in the same breath and capacity that their animal friend/s elicits, nay, requires... The funny thing is, I still feel the same way. I think there are only so many things you can say about your pets that don't cross over into the annoying category when it comes to other people's time and, well, mental capacity. But, here is what I will say: Marlo, this quirky, sometimes cute, sometimes obnoxious little creature, has managed to soften me up a little bit. She's caught me off guard in moments where I'm sad and she senses it. She's provided sufficient distraction that has allowed me not to dwell in the hard part of my days for too long. I think in this way, she has indeed lived up to her name in that she's become my friend. The house doesn't seem quite so empty and this place doesn't seem quite so horrible in the faded light of the evening when I take her on walks and watch her play in the backyard. Even though she still drives me crazy and sometimes I think PETA could get me pretty tied up just for the thoughts that I have about what I want to do to her when I find mystery puddles of pee on my rugs, well, I'm admitting here, it's nice to have a little life around. Sometimes animals can do what people can't. Like defecate in the house but look so cute doing it that you can't help but bury your head in their fury little necks and talk annoying baby chatter in hopes that they'll stay in your lap just a little longer...

3 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad you have her in your life. Dogs are the best, no doubt.

Are you looking for a roommate by chance? I have an acquaintance that e-mailed me a couple of weeks ago asking if I knew anyone looking to share a house or apartment.

Just thought I'd ask. Hope everything else is going well. We should def. get together for lunch or coffee or something sometime soon too...anytime. Talk to you later.

Gisele said...

she's darling!

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Aww, she's adorable! Pets are really amazing creatures. I was never a big animal person until I got my dog, either. But eh, now I'm a big old mushfest.