Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm sitting on my couch at this moment, enjoying the feeling that comes with turning in a paper that you've been working on for five weeks. However, the feeling will inevitably be short-lived seeing as how I've got a test tomorrow that I haven't even begun to study for as well as a presentation due on Wednesday. And then, after walking out of this particular class for the last time, I'm going to come home and do something crazy to celebrate... like read my book without guilt or clean something.... I'm going to live it up, I tell ya...

No, but seriously, I think things are ok around here. The fourth of July was a strange yet enjoyable culmination for me, in that I was sweetly reminded of the reality of my life in this place. I looked around at the people that were by my side and thought to myself, "These people are who I have now... these people are who I have to be vulnerable with..." And it's true. My season is changing, and as much as it hurts deep down inside, it can't be helped. Relationships of all varieties sometimes fade and break, but in the midst of all of it, you can't discount the people that are by your side in the present. I don't want to discount those people, anyway. While it's true that I'll probably miss and mourn the life and people that I'm struggling to let go of right now for quite some time, I know I am blessed. I can't forget this fact.

This upcoming weekend I'll be heading down to the Houston area again to spend some time at the lake with two of my best friends. Hopefully I will have fun stories to report. And then, the following weekend, my mom and sister will be here for a few days. I can't wait.

So, the moral of this post is this: I'm thankful for the people in my life right now. Truly. As much as I get antsy being in this town and wondering if I'm missing out on better things, I never wonder if I'm missing out on better people. I know I've got some of the best ones a girl could ask for.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Do you know what I call those moments like you just described? They're "good and perfect gifts from above" (James 1:17). It's like God just plops this peace and joy on your face and it's hard to describe how you got where you got but you're just glad you got there. I'm thankful for YOU in my life. I'm thankful we don't need to see each other all the time or talk that often but we both just know we have those intertwined spirits. I always look forward to our times together. Enjoy Houston. Love ya!