Friday, April 10, 2009

Ok. So.... I get it.

I officially understand why the world has been consumed by 'Twilight' for the last year. As always, I may be a bit late jumping onto the wagon, but if the last two weeks have proven anything (i.e. me watching the movie three times and staying up late late late to finish the first book) it's that I am officially a part of the club.

And I thought I was above it. Boy was I wrong.

Now don't get me wrong. I definitely have my issues with some of it. I try to imagine what it would be like if I was a 13 year old girl (which, you know, I'm not that far from...) and I was reading about "love" that knows no bounds between two seventeen year olds, one of which was the perfect boy who told me things like "you're my own personal kind of heroin" and "you are my life now"... Needless to say, I think my expectations for my relationships would be rather high (I mean, as they are now, at 26, they're probably a little too lofty at times anyways...). Pretty intense stuff to jam down a pre-adolescent's throat, er, mind. Not to mention, if I have to read one more time about the "marble" arms of Edward Cullen I'm seriously going to jam something into my eye. It's time for some new adjectives you weird rich woman who writes these books whose name I can't remember right now. Seriously. NEW adjectives.

But, beyond all of this, I have to admit, I'm into it. I need to know what happens next. It really is a bit distracting. Sometimes I find myself thinking "I wonder what the Cullen family would do right now?" or " Gosh, that Bella is sooo clumsy."... or even worse, "I wonder how I can finagle a real-life meeting with Rob P. and make him fall in love with me..."


My life is WAY too busy for this stuff. Sheesh...

I blame you, Brent Spead.




5 comments:

zenfullyme said...

I am so with you. I did not want to be apart of this Twilight phenomenon. I refused for as long as could. Last weekend my best friend and boyfriends sister pretty much made me watch it. Not long in, I was hooked. I wanted to know what was going to happen. Rob P. in real life, not so hot. Edward Cullen on the other hand, I could totally dream about. I got the book from my sister last Sunday and finished it last night. I'm starting the 2nd book this weekend, and I can't wait to find out what happens next! I, like you, almost feel embarrassed that I'm so interested in this teenage love story. I'm not fighting it any longer. I'm Twilight obsessed like everyone else. Part of me hates that I got sucked in, but what can you do? It's a good read, and I don't like reading!

Liz said...

Isn't it freakish how easily the books absorb you?? I could NOT put it down, and I couldn't understand why. But I was definitely addicted.

Shannon Kelly said...

i am also one of those... hate to admit it... but caught up. saw the film on opening morning with my step-sister. midnight. so true about the adjectives... too much mentioning of "marble"

nunface said...

interesting.

rachael henderson said...

wait, brent got you into twilight?
somehow, this makes sense.

[read the first 3 books over thanksgiving last fall...and the 4the next week. guilty pleasure much?] also i like your blog. also call me.