Monday, January 5, 2009

To and Fro.


Whew.  Well it's been a while since I've sat down to tap away at this little blog here.  I have no excuse... except that maybe I just didn't want to... or maybe it's because most of the people that read this here piece of genius I actually encountered face to face sometime in the last month.  

Maybe.

Anyhow, the quick update goes something like this:  

I made it through finals quite well.  I'm sure I drank my weight in coffee and did my fair share of heavy sighing.  But things went off without too much of a hitch and I was able to put a mental check mark next to 'first semester of grad school'.  Now onto other important check marks, like 'pay off all of my debt' and 'possess a butt you could bounce a quarter off of'... 

After finals I headed home to Nebraska.  I flew stand-by, which would have worked perfectly, except that there was some bad weather in Chicago (what? bad weather in the middle of winter in the mid-west, you say?  Inconceivable.) and so I hung out in O'Hare for quite a while, making friends with strangers and watching people go absolutely crazy on many an airline worker.   Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like high levels of screaming and long lines of frustrated travelers.  Nonetheless, I made it home in one piece and spent a wonderful Christmas with my family.  

On the list of great things that happened while I was home:
1.  Wedding!  Not mine, but my lovely cousin's.  I was a bridesmaid and had a great and crazy time helping make sure all went well.
2.  I donned boots and a hat and helped scoop snow.  It's been a while since I've done that one.
3. Lots of movie watching and scrabble playing.  All the nerds in the house, put yo' hands up...
4.  I got to hang out with this lady and her adorable little boy.  Loved every second of it. 
5.  I was able to have lots of family time, which is exactly what I was needing.  Really, it's always what I'm needing...

And now I'm back... back to my reality here.  I want to be excited about the future, about the upcoming year.  Last night a few of us gathered in our living room and toasted, albeit a bit late, to the new year.  I think we are hopeful for what's to come, but even more,  I think we are all incredibly grateful for what we have.  I looked around the room and thought about the path my life has taken, with the "now" truly being represented by the faces that I was looking upon, and I realized that I have no choice but to trust.  I have to trust that I will be taken care of.  I have to trust that I will be loved... that we will all be loved.  

I think we will.  






1 comment:

peelthelime said...

I got a down comforter for Christmas and it makes me think of you! Can we hang out soon? I miss you.