Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Just a few reasons why...

.... I really like Colorado.

1.) Two days ago while taking a quick trip into Gunnison to pick up a few supplies, our van was brought to a halt. This traffic jam (which consisted of 4 cars in 30 minutes if that tells you anything about the population of western CO.) was not caused by construction...or a car accident... or any of those other things that you might think. Nope. This traffic jam was caused by a real life cattle drive (pause), down the highway (another pause), for a good five miles... I mean, really? I'm talking lots of cattle, with branded booties, being "ya! ya!-ed" by the real life cowboys in leather jackets and bandannas riding along side of them. Apparently it's a pretty normal thing around here. When the ranchers have to move their cattle around the mountain, they've got to use the highway just like the rest of us. Good picture worthy stuff. Too bad I didn't have my camera on me.

2.) While most of my friends are sweltering away in the summer heat, the high here tomorrow is a blazing 49 degrees. Yeah! for down coats in June.

3.) During the aforementioned trip to Gunnison to pick up supplies we made a special trip to Wal-mart. Now, this is not just any Wal-mart. This is probably the ONLY small, rinky-dink Wal-mart left in the continental U.S., and let's just say it's biggest department is the one labeled 'camping'. I was looking for a specific movie on this particular day and my bet was that the one store who bases their whole business mantra on variety (I mean, they're supposed to have EVERYTHING, right?) would take care of me. Well, when this Wal-mart was plumb out of the movie I was looking for (a very popular Disney movie, i might add) we ran next door to the grocery store. I walked in, glanced to the right, saw a small display of movies, and naturally (because aren't grocery stores always supposed to carry the essentials... like movies?) I found what I was looking for. For the first time in a long time, Wal-mart failed me and the neighborhood grocery store won out. Take that Sam Walton.

4.) A community kitchen that provides an unlimited supply of hot beverages at all times...

5.) Oh, and I guess you can throw in an unlimited supply of mountains in there too...



Wish I had some more exciting news for you all (or...you three...) but alas, it's a simple life we lead here. Just ask those cows.

3 comments:

growingfreely said...

i'm pretty sure sam walton just got a swift kick to the c-rotch! i'm glad you're enjoying all those hot beverages and down apparel. i would've loved to have seen a picture of the cow block.

p.s. the last sentences were quite humorous. genius.

Lane said...

those are some good reasons. makes me wish next month was already here. it's really sad how much i miss it.

dont blink. said...

well i think that the grocery store is brilliant for going in the walmart finding out everything they dont have and putting it in their store. I love those few but great smart middle men...well done...miss you...and I WISH it was 49...switch that and you have our high!