Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oh Weekend...

What a crazy couple of days. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering the actual weekend began with me knowingly purchasing a Miley Cyrus song on itunes (i know, WHAT? but hey, it's a catchy little number that makes me want to sing into a pretend microphone... I'm not above it) I think that might be a fair representation of the randomness that has ensued.

Friday night we (meaning myself and fellow outdoor ed. employees) went to the ever-classy 'Lake Palestine Resort' for a free dinner to celebrate the end of our season. We ate burgers and catfish (i did NOT eat catfish) in what appeared to be a converted gas station with a pretty fantastic view of the lake. It was quaint in its quirkiness and I rather enjoyed it. We then moved the party to 'fire mountain' (to be said with a deep, scary, growling voice) and rode go-carts (or in Bambi's case, got kicked out of go-carts), bumper boats and played lots of games that dispense those little tickets that you can then trade in for crappy prizes that in all reality cost you about 15 dollars... but it is SO worth it. It was awesome. We also successfully avoided hanging out to celebrate Jansen's impending birthday because we knew that the next night was....

...Jansen's surprise birthday shindig at the Binder's house! Yes, he was surprised. Yes, he yelled a lot. And yes, he got to drink his beer and sit on the lake and laugh his good belly laughs. It was a good time all around. And then, as if that wasn't enough, a few of us got really ambitious and went two-stepping. So, we drove over to 'Chaperelles' (a scary looking dancing joint/bar right off the interstate next to a gas station) and did our best to look like we belonged. I even busted out the cowboy boots for the event. Yeah, we laughed a lot.

Today I started to plan and pack for my departure up to Colorado. It's strange because I realize that this weekend really is the last weekend living this life that I have grown quite accustomed to. When I return in the fall I will no longer be concerned with things like whether or not I have to dress up like a Native American the next day or if I am responsible for cleaning out the ferret cages. Nope. That will no longer be my life. Weekends will no longer equal lazy Saturdays with Drew sleeping on our couch. Instead, I have a feeling going back to school is going to change life quite a bit and create some new traditions in my weeks. I don't know, maybe it's Patty Griffin playing in the background that is making me a bit sentimental, but I feel as if though I'm closing a pretty significant chapter in my life. But you know what? I'm excited. And I'm ready to see what it feels like to be a little bit uncomfortable again.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm excited for you and for your new adventures. You have been an honorary Texan for so long, Colorado might be a shock. But a good shock. We moved from Houston to Denver and it was great. I hope I can road trip over to visit some time!!

Liz said...

What Patty Griffin song is playing in the background?

Courtney Hope said...

Rain... mmmm...

Liz said...

Well, of course.

david said...

mmm... Patty...

Courtney, in my humble opinion, you're doing all this really, really well. Can't wait to have you up here!